February 4, 2009

Babyzinha

.

Today my baby turns 3.
At 10:44am EST (about).



Three years ago, right now, I was sitting in a hospital on a Saturday morning signing a form to say that I was intentionally going against the recommendations of my doctor. I had exciting things happen with every pregnancy, each building on the problems of the previous ones. This time, in addition to not being allowed to go into labor on my own (thanks #1) and having elevated whateverthathormonewas (thanks #2) I had a condition where my liver was not behaving properly and was allowing toxins to build up in my body. My favorite term for it was "Itchy Mom". Among other things (including incessant itching) bile acids were building in my blood and consequently could be transferred to the baby. This made me quite worried. I could potentially harm my baby and with a higher risk after week 36 I could end up having a still birth.

Three years ago today was Day 1 of week 36.

I had an amneosenesis to determine the baby's lung maturity. I was shopping in Kohls for bargains when I received the call that the test results came back as not quite ready. I had already scheduled my c-section (thanks #1) as early as they would let me (coincidentally 02-04-06) and they were telling me to wait over the weekend (three whole days!!!) and have the baby on Tuesday. I politely told the nurse that I would have to call back, hung up and left the cart, kids and grandma in the store. I cried all the way to my van and through a pleading prayer before I received a reassurance that everything would be ok if I went forward as planned. I calmly called back and told the nurse that I would not change my delivery date (hello? did you see those cool numbers?) because I would rather have a baby in the NICU than none at all. I know that in the NICU (thanks again, #1) there is individual attention and very competent doctors to take care of my baby. She said I'd have to sign a release form and I agreed.

That was Thursday.
Notice the dramatic hand on forehead, even in utero she was a drama queen.


Saturday morning we were bumped from 8am to 9, then 10am delivery. We sat and talked, took pictures, of course signed the form, discussed baby names (we didn't know girl or boy) and waited for our time to come. I was prepped, my sweetie got dressed and about two minutes after he came in, baby #3 entered the world. All fat and purple and puffy with tons of red hair.

It was a girl!!!


We posed for a picture (sortof) and sent her off to the NICU because, as predicted, she wasn't breathing quite right. She was put on a machine to help her lungs stay inflated and recovered quickly and fully. No one can doubt her lung strength these days.


I got to visit her a few times before being able to hold her, but she seemed content. She was no longer attached to anything when I went to see her 24 hours later. She was a great eater (still is to this day) so they moved her to the regular nursery, but not before they demanded that we give her a name. The evening of day 2 she got her name. We wanted to name her Amber, but "we named the dog" Amber.


I love her name.


She developed a bit of jaundice and lost a lot of weight, resulting in too may trips to the hospital and pricks in the heel. Poor baby. She seemed to enjoy the sunbathing, though, under the watchful eye of her very curious sister.


She was a sweet baby, not too fussy and quite tolerant of her siblings (this has changed a bit, the tolerant part).



Her brother used to hold her and then give her back when she got fussy. I remember once when she was quite content sitting on his lap and he said "Mom, she is taking too long to cry."

As she has gotten older I can see a lot of each of her siblings (and parents) in her.

She loves a hug and a cuddle, but on her own terms.

She takes things just to make her siblings mad, but gives them back nicely two seconds later.

She loves her baby and her bankie.


She sucks her thumb AND finger together.

She adamantly refused to drink milk from a bottle, but wouldn't drink juice any other way.


She loves cookies and chocolate and milk.


She loves going places. Anywhere.

She started pre-school on Monday.

She has beautiful red, curly hair that forms ringlets at the beach and relaxes in Arizona.

I love her hair.


She loves to wear "princesses." This is her code name for dresses.

She loves to dance and sing.

She is fearless and curious, not so safe a combination.

She loves the beach and sand, but hates the water.



She can take a bath or shower for hours, singing and playing.

She loves stickers and will sniff them out and put them anywhere.

She has had two concussions and nine stitches.


She turns tennis rackets into guitars.

She loves to pretend she is a cat or a dog.


She loves the park and nature.

She loves princesses (not just their dresses).


She likes to hold the edge of the swimming pool without a floatie.

She loves having her picture taken and pulls a cheesy, yet acceptable smile.


She loves brownies, candy bars and chocolate chips.

She holds her arms out gracefully while putting on a "princess" and slowly tilts her head from side to side depending on how long it takes mommy to button and tie.

She loves to empty her (and her sister's) school backpack multiple times a day.

Have I mentioned her love of chocolate?


This is one of the brigadeiro cupcakes I made for her birthday.

She loves sleeping like her mommy.

She loves waking up early like her daddy.

She likes pink like her sister.

She likes cars like her brother.

We all love her.

She loves everyone.

I am very happy to have her as part of our family, as my daughter, as my baby, which she will be forever (or at least until I can find another anonymous online name for her).

Happy 3rd birthday, baby.

.
*additional note* I started posting this at 8am Sao Paulo time which is currently 3 hours ahead of EST. I had the text of the posting done by 9am, but it took me all day (minus a few adventures and a birthday party) to add pictures then re-format and finally get it posted. I may just be switching back to livejournal if this is how it goes. Any tips on how to insert pictures without messing up formatting would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and goodnight. (10:12pm, here)

1 comment:

Rena said...

Happy Birthday to the cute red head in the corner!
I can't believe how long her hair is. She is sooo BeAUtiFuL!

So fill me in on what yay Robin Sparkles means?
I know....I am slow....

I think the formatting sucks on blogger but it could be that I just need a lesson on how to do it easier. Sorry, I am not much help.

This is an album created to raise money for research about the chromosome abnormality that affects my brother, know as Smith-Magenis Syndrome. I like it. Have a listen and if you're interested you can buy the album. Learn the story of the man behind this album at his blog: http://pacingthepanicroom.blogspot.com

Get Out!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter