February 23, 2009

Caged Animals

Today is the first official holiday of Carnival. The girls have today and tomorrow off and the boy is off all week. I decided that we can't sit at home all week so I was excited when we were invited to go to the zoo with friends. These friends are two families whose older children are at youth camp, leaving the 9-year-olds home alone with the dads. My poor sweetie came down with a sore throat and chills last night so he was out of commission for the day. I debated weather to go with the three kids or call to cancel. I made some sandwiches, packed some juice boxes and water and set out for the zoo.

The baby was very excited to hear that we were going to the zoo. She said she wanted to see the giraffes. And get licked. What? Giraffes have long necks and tongues. The boy said that he didn't want to get near the giraffes because he didn't want to get eaten. We had a discussion about meat eaters and plant eaters. He still didn't want to get eaten. Not by the snakes either.




We happened to be there with tons of our closest friends, all the Brazilians who didn't leave town for the long weekend. It was packed, but everyone was polite and the people traffic flowed well.


Elise and Matthew were our tour guides, with Matthew showing us the way and Elise helping the girls see every exhibit. By the way, Elise's dad, Mike, totally looks like my older brother. And he says I look a lot like his younger sister. Spooky!




And I got to break out my beloved double stroller. I love this thing. And the girls were glad to have a seat when they got tired. And I was glad to have two other dads to help push when we were going up hill with two girls in the seats.



Amazingly enough, there are penguins in the Sao Paulo Zoo. Did I mention that it was 90 degrees today? And they were some of the few animals who were out to put on a show. Most were in their caves or under the trees. These penguins are from the Southern coast of Argentina. The boy was pretty excited to see them.



Then we were amazed that there were turtles in the same pond as the alligators.


We are the mighty, mighty buffs! I don't think I've ever seen a buffalo in a zoo before.



And just to give fair screen time to both my schools, here is a cougar.


The boy liked the green parrots in the cage and all the noise they made.



We also liked that the turtles were playing leap frog without leaping. Kinda like the cars on the car carriers.

The girls both thought the maps were fun to look at. The girl wanted to see where we were at every turn. When the baby saw the picture of the giraffes she was so excited and kept asking if they were next.


I just love that specific animals are fans of different types of recycling.


Here is my standard view while babysitting the stroller. I was so glad to have such helpful people with us on our adventures.


This is as close as we got to the elephants, since they were popular and out in the open. Later he started walking away and flapping his ears and the baby said that he was going to fly away.


This is the famous red rhino that Matthew was talking about through the whole trip so far. And he (the rhino) was nice enough to come out of his corner so we could get a good look.



Here is the baby and her friendly neighborhood giraffes. Unfortunately (?) she didn't get licked. It was probably because she could not even stay still enough for a good picture. I like it anyway.


The kids all got a kick out of the giraffe in front licking the pole. They thought the color of their tongues was gross and the baby was glad she didn't get licked.





My favorite animals in the zoo!



Our last stop was the hippopotamuses. We were all tired by this time and were rather glad that the wind and thunder picked up so we had a cool walk back to the car. We got in just as the rain began to fall.



On the way home, we got out of the parking lot first by pure luck and without a map or the GPS made it home quickly despite the rain. On the way, the boy observed that the zoo smelled like animal soul. Soul? I asked if animal soul smelled like animal poop. He said it was worse. So is it like poop and sweat? He said worse, pee and puke, too. Yikes! I hope my soul doesn't smell that bad.


I am very proud to say that it seems (final results not in yet) that no one got sunburned and that we had a very nice day with very well behaved kids and excellent company (not to mention the animals).

No comments:

This is an album created to raise money for research about the chromosome abnormality that affects my brother, know as Smith-Magenis Syndrome. I like it. Have a listen and if you're interested you can buy the album. Learn the story of the man behind this album at his blog: http://pacingthepanicroom.blogspot.com

Get Out!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter