January 26, 2009

The Circle of Life

.

So, today my girl found the first iPod I ever owned. It is green. I was given it in the airport on the way to look for a house here in Brazil about two years ago. The poor thing lasted less than a year. Last January 1st it met an untimely death when I jumped into the swimming pool to save a capsized baby. With my clothes on. With my iPod in my pocket. (blog entry here) It still works if it is plugged in, but can't hold a charge.

Not so good for a portable electronic device.

Well, I had to explain the whole thing again to my son (who was in the pool at the time and alerted me to the problem) and the girl (who was too cold to swim that day). I even got out the pictures to show them the rectangular shape that was very visible in my pocket. None of them remembered, but they asked if I could do it again. I said I didn't want to break another iPod. Or scare the baby.

Fast forward to today.

The heavens opened and the rain was falling in drops the size of a marble and the baby got out the umbrella. I was not in the mood to go walking in the rain like last week, since it would take forever to get them back in the house. So, I suggested we go swimming. Our pool is enclosed in a glass room and heated. There are a few spots in the roof where the glass doesn't quite meet, so we were even able to catch freezing (relatively) drops of rain falling from the glass ceiling.

Totally awesome.

We were playing merpeople (since we have a merman) and the baby was in her boat. The girl was about to jump off the side to me when I heard splashing behind me.

The baby had capsized again.

Wow! is it hard to run in the pool. Granted, it was only about 8 feet, but on slippy pool tiles in slow motion? For. Ever. I grabbed the baby's foot and pulled her over and righted her. She huffed for a while and wanted to sit with me on the side "and a towel." I sat with her until I was too cold and then sat her down. Less than a minute later, she was standing on the side of the pool asking if she could jump to me.

Quick recovery, I'd say.

So, a year and bit later, we had a replay of events, minus the electronic disaster.

Thus, the circle of life.

.

No comments:

This is an album created to raise money for research about the chromosome abnormality that affects my brother, know as Smith-Magenis Syndrome. I like it. Have a listen and if you're interested you can buy the album. Learn the story of the man behind this album at his blog: http://pacingthepanicroom.blogspot.com

Get Out!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter