I am so proud of me for cutting up a watermelon this morning. Not only because I promised my sweetie that I'd cut it up as soon as we got home from the grocery store (on Saturday) but because of my awesome new method of slicing and dicing.
A few preliminary details:
It was a quarter of a watermelon. Sliced in half the long way, and then sliced again the long way.
It was a watermelon boat.
My kids don't like the seeds (not many do) and refuse to pick them out. So, being the *best mom ever* I do it for them. In times past, I have cut slices (quarters if you will) thin enough to pick out the seeds, or just cubed the whole thing, removing seeds as I went along. Both methods make a big mess and have lots of loose garbage in the end.
This time I did something a little bit different
(and totally awesome, if I do say so myself).
I wish I had pictures because I am afraid that my math geekiness will not allow the general public to understand fully. But, here goes.
First I cut from the red down to the rind all along the melon perpendicularly to the central axis (the corner of the red sides). But I did not cut through said rind. So, now I have non-separated quarters.
Then I cut parallel to one of the flat sides in three/quarter inch increments down to the green, but still not through the rind.
I turned the melon around and cut parallel to the other flat side in the same manner as before.
Now comes the MAGIC!!!
I flipped the whole thing over my rubbermaid bowl and perfect cubes fell out of my watermelon boat. I was left with just enough attached to the rind for my morning snack, so I got myself a spoon and pried out the few remaining cubes.
MMMMmmmm.
AND!
I only had one rind to throw away
One small puddle of watermelon juice
One tiny seed all alone on the counter.
Now, this is not a seedless snack as I have presented to them before, but it sure makes the food much less daunting of a task to prepare.
No knife needed.
No HUGE mess to clean up.
Just a few seeds to pick out, if they haven't fallen to the bottom of the bowl already.
Go me!
A few preliminary details:
It was a quarter of a watermelon. Sliced in half the long way, and then sliced again the long way.
It was a watermelon boat.
My kids don't like the seeds (not many do) and refuse to pick them out. So, being the *best mom ever* I do it for them. In times past, I have cut slices (quarters if you will) thin enough to pick out the seeds, or just cubed the whole thing, removing seeds as I went along. Both methods make a big mess and have lots of loose garbage in the end.
This time I did something a little bit different
(and totally awesome, if I do say so myself).
I wish I had pictures because I am afraid that my math geekiness will not allow the general public to understand fully. But, here goes.
First I cut from the red down to the rind all along the melon perpendicularly to the central axis (the corner of the red sides). But I did not cut through said rind. So, now I have non-separated quarters.
Then I cut parallel to one of the flat sides in three/quarter inch increments down to the green, but still not through the rind.
I turned the melon around and cut parallel to the other flat side in the same manner as before.
Now comes the MAGIC!!!
I flipped the whole thing over my rubbermaid bowl and perfect cubes fell out of my watermelon boat. I was left with just enough attached to the rind for my morning snack, so I got myself a spoon and pried out the few remaining cubes.
MMMMmmmm.
AND!
I only had one rind to throw away
One small puddle of watermelon juice
One tiny seed all alone on the counter.
Now, this is not a seedless snack as I have presented to them before, but it sure makes the food much less daunting of a task to prepare.
No knife needed.
No HUGE mess to clean up.
Just a few seeds to pick out, if they haven't fallen to the bottom of the bowl already.
Go me!





6 comments:
Yeah...I think I need a step by step with pictures but it sure sounds like a valuable skill to have. Maybe you should put it up as a how to Wiki ;)
I may get the chance to do a youTube video since I am sitting here slamming the entire aforementioned watermelon. Maybe I should pack the girls' lunches now.
UMM, I always hated that I felt like a smart person til your family came into the room. You should have seen the furrow of my brow as I read and re-read your explanation. I still dont get it but I was never a geometry wiz. I just wanted to know how you got your kids to pick out their own seeds.
Oh yeah I also wanted to know if watermelon in Brazil is better than in AZ.
Maybe not better, but certainly in season more often. I can't think of a time when we haven't had watermelon in our produce section.
And I'll pick out the seeds myself before I put the last few cubes into their lunches tomorrow.
You know that you got that idea from watching me cut up cantalopes don't you?
Post a Comment